Have you ever heard about “Caprese Cake”? Well, it’s really famous all around the world. It’s one of the most appreciated Italian cakes! Invented in Capri Island in the Southern part of Italy, the tasty Caprese has just a few ingredients to be prepared …. The smell of almonds is irresistible!
Its origin is really curious: In 1920, a cook called Carmine Di Fiore was preparing an almond-cake in his cooking-workshop for three criminals who arrived in Capri Island. unfortunately, he made a big mistake! He forgot to put flour inside the mixture, but he didn’t notice that. He put the cake in the oven. The result was fantastic! The cake was soft and perfumed! Simply perfect! The three criminals were totally satisfied. He continued to prepare it: everybody loved the Caprese cake.
Here is the original Italian recipe:
250 g chocolate
300 g almonds
250 g butter
200 g sugar
- Boil almonds in a pot of boiling hot water just for a minute. Let them drip and torrefy or roast in the oven at 200 ˚C. Chop them to pieces.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Put the butter, sugar and yolks in a large bowl and mix them.
- Add the chocolate and almond to the mixture.
- Meanwhile beat the egg-white with the sugar until stiff.
- Then put it in the large bowl (be careful, it’s not easy to mix the mixture).
- Put the butter and flour in a baking sheet (diameter 24-26 cm ) put the mixture inside. Then it goes into the oven for 50 minutes.
Your delicious Caprese cake is ready….And now imagine to be in the beautiful Capri Island, in a restaurant with a sea view, in a hot summer evening… In the end of dinner, they serve you a piece of Caprese cake, with a glass of Limoncello, a typical Italian liquor (optional). Is it making your mouth water just thinking of it? 🙂